Re: [squid-users] Re: Heap Policy

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 13:37:37 -0600

On 05/22/2013 06:10 AM, RW wrote:
> On Mon, 13 May 2013 12:47:31 +0500
> Farooq Bhatti wrote:
>> I got it; the problem is bug in squid. As it is required to define
>> the policy before cache_dir in squid.conf.

> IMO it's a feature rather than a bug.

It is a bug with side effects that some may [ab]use to work around other
problems :-).

> If you take a look at the output of squidclient mgr:storedir you
> posted, you'll see that the policy is a property of the "store
> directory" not a global setting. Each cache_dir line uses the most
> recently defined policy, or the default of lru.

> I think it might be a good idea to warn about cache_replacement_policy
> lines that don't affect a cache.

Eventually, Squid will not configure cache_dirs until the entire
configuration has been parsed, removing this bug and its side effects
(along with other hidden dependencies like that). It would be better to
spend cycles implementing that than implementing the above warning IMO.

> Ideally the policy would have been a cache_dir parameter.

Agreed.

Cheers,

Alex.