Re: [squid-users] what are the Pros and cons filtering urls using squid.conf?

From: Marcus Kool <marcus.kool_at_urlfilterdb.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 13:34:11 -0300

On 06/09/2013 12:59 PM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On 06/09/2013 03:29 AM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
>
>> >Would you prefer a filtering based on a reload or a persistent DB like
>> >mongoDB or tokyo tyrant?
> I would prefer to improve Squid so that reconfiguration has no
> disrupting effects on traffic, eliminating the "reload is disruptive for
> Squid but not for my ICAP service" difference.
>
> There are many important differences between ACL lists, eCAP adapters,
> and ICAP services. Reconfiguration handling should not be one of them.

Eliezer seems to be concerned about what happens during reconfiguration,
and he has a point.
A Squid reconfigure simply stops the web proxy service for some time, while
a reconfigure of a 3rd party component (URL redirector, ICAP
or other helper) _may_ not cause a disruption of service.
Therefor I would never use the filter-with-squid-acls option (ok, I am biased
but ufdbGuard reconfiguration does not interrupt the proxy service
and some admins reconfigure it often during working hours).

Although one can schedule to do a reconfigure at 3 AM when disruption
of service should not be a problem there are always the small or big problems
that appear during working hours and need an immediate configuration change.

And yes, improve Squid to have no service disruption during a reconfigure
will be a great feature.
Are you aiming at "minimise service disruption window" or go for
"never disrupt service" (unless a very important parameter like port number changes).

Marcus