Re: [squid-users] Squid and Squidguard.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:40:26 +1200

On 13/06/2013 3:23 a.m., Beto Moreno wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Guys I have small experience with squid, now need to learn how to use
> squidguard.
>
> My doubts are:
>
> 1) U have squidrunning with your ACL, groups, users and rules, once u
> setup squidguard what is order?
> squid - rules them squidguard - rules or
> squidguard rules them squid - rules?

Squidguard is a separate programs.

* Squid ACLs determine whether a transaction is processed, and how that
processing is performed.
* Squidguard ACLs determine whether or not Squidguard tells Squid to
alter the URL mid-transaction. Nothing more.

All ACLs in both are run. Squid main http_access, adaptation systems and
url_rewrite_access ACLs are run before squidguard. The
url_rewrite_access ACLs determine whether squidguard is used *at all*.
squidguard is contacted and does its thing. Then the remainder of the
Squid ones are run depending on whether they need to on the new URL.

> 2) Squidguard is a URL redirector, them squid ACL stuff will continue working?

Yes.

> 3) Squid ACL tool can be replace with squidguard or they are totally different?

Totally different. Although some people use URL-rewriting and
redirection to act like a proxy denial service - what actually happens
there is a *successful* response with content message saying "failure".
It is worth avoiding the confusion and complexity whenever possible.

Amos