Re: [squid-users] How do I clear the cache database without stopping squid?

From: Daniele Segato <daniele.segato_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:47:54 +0200

On 06/21/2013 03:26 PM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> On 06/21/2013 02:45 PM, Daniele Segato wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a way to clear the cache without stopping / rebooting squid?
>>
>> I usually stop squid, remove the caches from the filesystem (rm -rf
>> /path/where/the/cache/is), restart squid.
>>
>> Is there a way to clear that cache without the restart?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Daniele Segato
> you can do a small tick if you want to just reload down times.
>
> change the conf file to no cache_dir at all.
> reload squid
> then erase manually the cache_dir.
> after that just run another squid.conf file with the settings of the
> cache_dir in it with a -z option.
> squid -f /etc/squid/squid_res.conf -z
>
> now you got squid running with no shutdown but without cache_dir.
> The cache dir also was erased and initialized.
> you only need to change back the original conf file and then reload the
> settings again.
>
> Hope the recipe will help you.
>
> Eliezer

I see, wouldn't it be the same to restart only once with a different
cache_dir ?

next question:
can I change the cache dir with an environment variable?

I'm using Jenkins to do release, so I had to automate it and remove
down-time. Ideally it should be no downtime.

thank you

sorry for the late response

regards,
Daniele Sesgato