Re: [squid-users] Optimized Configuration?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 02:42:44 +1200

On 26/06/2013 8:41 p.m., guzzzi wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> im restarting to set up a Squid Proxy with Dansguardian + NTLM. At the
> moment i just got my shipped Configuration within the Squid Proxy Server.
> Looking for someone who can Help me to create a Optimized Configuration.
> Optimized in Speed.

For optimal speed get rid of NTLM. It forces a lot of extra bandwidth
consumption, TCP TIME_WAIT socket delays, has a low limit on concurrent
authentication lookups, and the modern Windows software does not support
it by default (it was officially deprecated in 2006). Try
Negotiate/Kerberos instead.

> I know how to build in the Microsoft Update Services (i hope so :) ) and the
> NTLM thing. But there are Tons of Options to Speed up the Proxy for the
> Users.
>
> Maybe there are some "Must have" Options in the Configuration?

The more minimal you can make the config the better. Everything extra
you configure Squid to do slows it down a little. Of course you always
have local policies etc that need to be followed. We can help best by
suggesting slightly more optimal ways to do the things you have already
configured - if you are willing to share the config file.

Amos