Re: [squid-users] How to tell if it is a true proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 05:50:42 +1200

On 28/06/2013 5:15 a.m., Geary, Brian W. wrote:
> I was wondering if there was a way to test if a proxy was a "true" proxy.
>
> I have been told there is a filter proxy and a true proxy. The difference being that
> the true proxy is more secure. I have been told that a true proxy has a barrier of some
> sort or protocol shift within the proxy.
>
> [b]True proxy[/b]: browser->proxy [barrier or protocol shift] proxy->remote site connection
> [b]Filter proxy[/b]: browser->proxy -- proxy->remote site connection
>
> Thanks
> Brian

HTTP defines proxies in the role of gateway (between protocols or
networks - ie Squid when using FTP/Gopher/WAIS backends or IPv4/IPv6
mapping), transforming (alters the payload content ie Squid with
ICAP/eCAP features enabled), and transparent (does not alter the HTTP
headers or payload beyond RFC mandatory changes - ie Squid default
installation). Reverse proxies and interception proxies are not defined
specifically.

Telling them apart without knowing the proxy configuration file content
is very difficult. You have to recover the headers sent by the client
and received by the server to compare and see what was changed (if
anything).

Amos