Re: [squid-users] Another Squid + OpenBSD + pf howto

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 01:20:51 +1200

On 29/06/2013 12:22 a.m., Rob Sheldon wrote:
> I finally got around to writing a howto for recent versions of
> OpenBSD/Squid, following my trouble getting it working:
>
> http://www.associatedtechs.com/library/setting-up-squid-on-openbsd/
>
> Please let me know if there are errors, serious deficiencies, etc. --
> I'd rather not contribute to bad documentation online.
>
> The current version of the official Squid docs has an omission which,
> on my setup at least, caused some problems. In
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/OpenBsdPf#NAT_Interception_proxy,
> "http_port 3129 intercept" didn't work, but "http_port 127.0.0.1:3129
> intercept" did. Not specifying the interface to listen on caused
> "connection refused" errors; I'm not sure what's going on there, but
> the README in the OpenBSD package also has the address:port syntax:
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/www/squid/pkg/README-main?rev=1.5;content-type=text%2Fplain
>
> Thanks,
>
> - R.

Just a couple of points:

* the rdr-to support has been updated for 3.4. So a note in the
documentation stating thet this is for 3.2 and 3.3 specifically and
things will be changign again in future may be useful.

* visible_hostname does *not* need to be configured if the local machien
hostname can be resolved by Squid during startup. The hostname RFC
requirements are for a host name to have both forward and reverse DNS
records. Any host which is so configured does not need visible_hostname
at all.

* the logform|at "squid" is p||redefined. Please do not re-define it. If
you need something unusual use a different format name.

* |cache_store_log is not useful unless you are debugging the cache
storage.|

Amos