Re: AW: AW: [squid-users] detecting dead parent problem - understanding parent and icp

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 01:03:57 +0300

Hey Markus,

Why is a very hard question while not folding all the cards in-front of me.
I will not tell you what have changed from 2.7 to 3.2 since almost
everybody knows that 2.7=c 3.2=c\c++ and some other stuff.
But I can understand your problem and I can offer you couple things.
First use my helper just to improve the current situation.
What you are describing is one of the couple regressions involved while
upgrading the whole internet...
There is constantly one part of the internet that is down and we cannot
change it since it's such a wide network.
So first to try to overcome the problem we need to provide with a
mechanism that does that check for you.
If my script is not enough to make an environment stable for production
I suspect the problem is deeper(from my point of view).
If you are up for the task to develop this point in squid code and kind
of port or redesign the way squid recognize a cache_peer down state it
would be wonderful for many admins.

If you do want more help We can try to see your conf and try to make it
possible for your network to become more stable.

Just one point: is this PC access the proxy as a forward proxy or the
proxy intercepts the requests?

Eliezer