AW: AW: AW: [squid-users] detecting dead parent problem - understanding parent and icp

From: Rietzler, Markus \(RZF, SG 324 / \) <markus.rietzler_at_fv.nrw.de>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 08:16:49 +0000

> If you are up for the task to develop this point in squid code and kind
> of port or redesign the way squid recognize a cache_peer down state it
> would be wonderful for many admins.

mh, we can see in the cache.log that squid says "parent down/dead". so I will recognize it first. but it seems that somewhere it hangs and gets slow, maybe still waiting for an answer, although squid first marked the parent down.
I am still looking for a way to really check and prove it. at the moment it is just the "feeling" while surfing that it is slow, we don'T have any numbers.

one more problem - as so often - we have at about 600 users on our location, one of 150 locations, so it is always difficult to check thinks in production environment. when we are on the development system only a few (<5) users are surfing. so some effect won't happen because everything is fast enough for those 5 but when 600 will access...

> Just one point: is this PC access the proxy as a forward proxy or the
> proxy intercepts the requests?

it is a forwarding proxy, so we have setup using proxy in the settings of the browser, either via proxy.pac or manual settings.