Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.3.7 and Caching Youtube Videos

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 05:17:58 +1200

On 13/07/2013 2:31 a.m., Golden Shadow wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> According to:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/DynamicContent/YouTube
> "The
> default configuration of squid older than 3.1 prevents the caching of
> dynamic content and youtube.com specifically implement several
> 'features' that prevent their flash videos being effectively distributed by caches."
>
> What
> about Squid 3.3.7?

Is 3.3.7 "older" or "newer" numerically than 3.1 ?

YouTube is cacheable by the 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 etc series of Squid. The
remaining problem is that they stuff so much variable pieces into their
URLs that there is almost no HIT rate generated from that caching....

> Do I still need to follow the instructions mentioned
> in that page in order to be able to cache Youtube videos?

... so yes, sort of. The Solutions on that wiki page are still required
to cleanup that URL mess.

The page is in need of a slight touch-up on the every latest details of
Squid-3 but overall it is basically still accurate for the stable versions.
If you are willing to us the very latest code we have 3.HEAD code with
the Store-ID feature port of Store-URL. That has been seeing the most
development for the latest round of syntax alterations the YT site has
been doing.

Amos