Re: [squid-users] Need some help on headers and cachiness validation debug_options suggestion

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 22:43:40 +1200

On 19/07/2013 12:33 p.m., Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> I have couple sites I want to optimize the local cache for.
> I am looking for the right Debug_options that can get me the main
> "cache\no cache" decision and reason.
> I know there is a big list at:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/DebugSections
>
> I am still a bit confused on what each debug will get me from a admin
> point of view.

Good luck. So are we all. Including the main development team.
We have agreed on level-0 and level-1 being critical and important (with
some personal opinions making flexibility around what is considered
critical and important), and on level-9 being for raw data dumps of
things which might be exceedingly huge like I/O buffers.

Between 2 and 8 the levels are the collation of arbitrary choces of
hundreds of developers across decades of work. Even the sections are a
bit ad-hoc in their numbering.

> I know some squid logics and other stuff but I want to get some more
> from the logs but no using either ALL,3 or ALL,9.
> I think there is a way to leave it into 20 65 and some others.
> Looking forward for suggestions.

To get anything useful out of the 2+ debug levels you have to figure out
what detail you want visible, browse the code and find out what debug
section and level it is logged at (or patch some debugs in if they are
missing) then log that and wade through the extra bits thrown out at you.

Amos