[squid-users] Squid Memory and Page Faults

From: Golden Shadow <firas73737_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 06:05:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there!

My squid is installed on a server with 192 GB of RAM. I have the following directives in squid.conf:

cache_mem 143360 MB
maximum_object_size_in_memory 300 KB
memory_replacement_policy heap GDSF

memory_pools on
memory_pools_limit 1024 MB

ipcache_size 2048
ipcache_low 90
ipcache_high 95

fqdncache_size 2048

top reports that my squid process size is 20GB, which is far less than my RAM size, but nevertheless I still find some page faults (about 70 page faults over 2 hours). I'm wondering how could those page faults are occurring while squid process size is far less than my RAM size. How can I eliminate those time consuming page faults?

My second question, am I using correct values for the memory-related directives mentioned above? If no, I would really appreciate if you could suggest the correct values.

My last question is about read_ahead_gap, whose default value is only 16 KB. Would increasing this value to let's say 32 KB or 64 KB increase the performance since I have high RAM on the server?

Thanks a lot!
Regards,
Firas