Re: [squid-users] Too many open files

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 04:15:37 +0300

On 07/25/2013 02:10 PM, Peter Retief wrote:
> Amos, any ideas where I should look to see where Ubuntu is restricting the
> file descriptors? I though "ulimit -Sn" and "ulimit -Hn" would tell me how
> many descriptors any child process should get?
many things should happen and still they do not.(this is what I know)
I think that we can try to get some help on that from ubuntu team..

Dont just restart a server without making sure the traffic is fine..
since you are using WCCP I would suggest you to share the setup and then
we can try to help you more later on if needed.

If the setup is right and in place there should be no problem to find
the right place like this:
at ubuntu as a starter.

and then notice that there are other parts of linux that apply ulimits:
http://serverfault.com/questions/235356/open-file-descriptor-limits-conf-setting-isnt-read-by-ulimit-even-when-pam-limi

I do not like to redirect but it seems to me like the best choice now.

Also there is a basic assumption that you want to find the source of the
problem and not just make it work??

I would assume that you setup your WCCP correctly.
DO you use them in tunnel or route mode?
in route mode you can easily get into a complex situation that you have
a routing endless loop(until X TTL).

But I assume the problem was solved already??

Eliezer