Re: [squid-users] Re: Forcing Windows Automatic Updates to us Proxy - Question about FAQ

From: Helmut Hullen <Hullen_at_t-online.de>
Date: 21 Aug 2013 18:47:00 +0200

Hallo, HillTopsGM,

> If I may repeat back to you in my own words (and ask a question) to
> make sure that I understand what it is that is being said:

> *Question 1:* I do not actually have to run these command lines
> UNLESS it appears that Windows is not using the proxy - is that
> correct?

Something like that - you can (perhaps) define the proxy configuration
in every application. But sometimes it's more easy for you when the
application finds the configuration in HKLM.

> *Question 2:* I just ran proxycfg at the CMD Prompt on a Windows 7
> Machine and the response that I got was:
> (QUOTE)
> 'proxycfg' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> (END QUOTE)
> Would I be correct in assuming that Windows 7 machines are not able
> to take advantage of those commands, or did I do something wrong?

May be - I've just tried this command under W2k, and W2k didn't
recognize it too.

Searching for "proxycfg" lead to

  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900935/de

and the information (in german)

  "Für Windows Vista und neuere Windows-Versionen ist das Tool
"Netsh.exe" statt "proxycfg.exe" verfügbar."

Additional:

  <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384069%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>

But that's all windows and not squid ...

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut