Re: [squid-users] Re: defined localnet to mean your local clients ???

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 20:50:40 +1200

On 23/08/2013 8:18 p.m., HillTopsGM wrote:
> Ok,
> I have added this line of code
>
>> acl localnet src 192.168.1.0/24
> just above where it lists all the safe ports.
>
> It appears to restart ok with these 2 lines enabled now.
>
> *http_access allow CONNECT wuCONNECT localnet
> http_access allow windowsupdate localnet*
>
> Now I thought I might try a test (not with windows yet); I tried to download
> an Nvida Driver 223 MB.
> I did that on one machine, and once that was complete, I tried it on another
> machine . . . it does not appear to be coming from the proxy cache as it is
> not any faster.
>
> To be sure I was going through the proxy I set windows explorer connections
> to 192.168.1.6 and port 8080 on both machines. and I even changed the last
> http_access setting to:
>

>> http_access deny all
Which is what it should be.

> . . . to make sure it was going through the proxy - and it was because web
> access was blocked until I changed it back to
>
> http_access *allow* all

Which is a very strong sign that your configuration is broken.

> I tried a smaller file by downloading the latest Firefox install file (about
> 21 MB) and that was no faster either.
>
> I have a fairly advance router (MikroTik RB450G) that shows all the data
> going in & out the WAN cable. It was definitely not drawing from the proxy
> the 2nd time.
>
> Any Ideas why it is not caching

Step #1: take the URL and paste it into redbot.org.

  That will give you a rundown on whether the resource there is
cacheable to begin with.

Step #2: show us your config file please.

Particularly in light of the fact you think "allow all" is required to
simply pass traffic. I want to audit this config as a whole please.

Amos