[squid-users] Re: Does Changing Cache_dir location require a "Rebuild" of the cache?

From: HillTopsGM <emailgregagain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 14:31:13 -0700 (PDT)

Amos Jeffries-2 wrote
> You do need to run "squid -z" to build the cache structure of the other
> cache_dir locations. And might as well including the moved one in that
> as well to verify the directory structure is correct before trying to
> run normally with it.
>
> Everything is automatic except changes to the L1/L2 values.
>
> Amos

I am not sure what you mean by "/to build the cache structure . . ./".

Does that mean to create the Directories within the Cache Directory I've
indicated?
If so, I took a look when I restarted Squid and they were all there.

I am not using the proxy just yet as I am trying to make sure I understand
(as much as I can) some of the 'major' in's and out's.

> might as well including the moved one in that
> as well to verify the directory structure is correct . . .

I simply restarted and it appeared to be caching fine, and I never ran the
squid -z command - what does that do exactly?

I was just curious how it worked with regards to changing cache directories
. . . I know this is a weird question, so bear with me - If I ran one
directory and cached files and then change directories and cached files
there, if I were to switch back to the first directory, would all the cached
files in the first directory be recognized and used again or would it be
like flushing the cache and starting over again from scratch?