Re: [squid-users] Re: Does Changing Cache_dir location require a "Rebuild" of the cache?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 17:13:35 +1200

On 28/08/2013 9:31 a.m., HillTopsGM wrote:
> Amos Jeffries-2 wrote
>> You do need to run "squid -z" to build the cache structure of the other
>> cache_dir locations. And might as well including the moved one in that
>> as well to verify the directory structure is correct before trying to
>> run normally with it.
>>
>> Everything is automatic except changes to the L1/L2 values.
>>
>> Amos
> I am not sure what you mean by "/to build the cache structure . . ./".

Imagine that you are saving a file to disk. It would help if the
folder/directory where you were saving it was already existing. Most
save-as systems allow you to create the directory but it takes a while.

Now imagine that you had to save several hundred files every second. You
do not want to have to be pausing to check the directory exists and
create one each time. Neither does Squid.

So we have the -z process which does that check and builds the entire
cache_dir internal structure of directories outside of the working Squid
process.

> Does that mean to create the Directories within the Cache Directory I've
> indicated?

Yes it does.

>> might as well including the moved one in that
>> as well to verify the directory structure is correct . . .
> I simply restarted and it appeared to be caching fine, and I never ran the
> squid -z command - what does that do exactly?
see above.

> I was just curious how it worked with regards to changing cache directories
> . . . I know this is a weird question, so bear with me - If I ran one
> directory and cached files and then change directories and cached files
> there, if I were to switch back to the first directory, would all the cached
> files in the first directory be recognized and used again or would it be
> like flushing the cache and starting over again from scratch?

Yes, AND yes.

The files that were in there should still be there, but they will have
aged. Since it is now some time since they were saved many of them will
have expired and need updating.

Most websites change fairly frequently. User needs also change. A cache
is a temporary storage for use optimizing requests related both in
_location_ and _time_.

Amos