Re: [squid-users] Upgrading squid and cache

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:53:24 +1200

On 29/08/2013 10:38 a.m., Matthew Ceroni wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I recently tried to update to the latest squid (3.8.1) from (3.1.1
> that is available in CentOS). On secondary proxy servers that had no
> cache, upgrading went fine.
>
> However on the main physical proxy that has cache drives configured
> squid said it started up (port was listening) but would not service
> any requests. I noted in the cache.log file a reference to bug 3441
> and something about rebuilding the cache.
>
> Is there an upgrade process I have to do on the cache? Again, squid
> appeared to be listening but did not service any requets.

Squid is doing the cache format upgrade automatically. The process is a
disk scan identical to if the swap.state journal was corrupted or
missing. It may take some time if you have large cache_dir.

As a workaround you can run squid as a proxy-only for the production
traffic (like your secondary one) and run another with a dummy config
file to do the cache rebuild "offline". Then swap back to normal
configuration with cache when the rebuild has finished.

Amos