Re: [squid-users] Well, this is what I concluded about using squid!

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 14:11:15 +0300

Hey Golden Shadow,

I am always happy to assist if I can..
squid was used on systems with much load then just 25k requests per
minute..( I have seen that)
The real question is about this: "what hadrware should be used to serve
25k requests per minute?"
then we add the questions "what linux version can work with 25K requests
per minute?"

The answer to that is strictly "depends on the admin config"
It includes choosing the right hardware and the right hardware setup the
right software setup etc...

If you are wishing to make it work I would say that ubuntu is a very
nice OS and Also CentOS and SUSE.
when you setup this kind of a system you take an experienced system
engineer and make sure what and how..
As someone asked me before the first step it to take only the hardware
and the OS for a spin..
squid on top of ram linux and hardware no logs at all..
Just to see how the basic hardware is working for the setup..
Take In account that there is no need to cache all of the INTERNET since
this is not the purpose of squid.
If there some developer that thinks he can "download" the internet into
a tiny 2u or 4u box or even a 20u box full of boxes he is wrong!

If you want to understand caching please just ask...

On 09/02/2013 06:09 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> As alway the choice is yours. Thank you for at least mentioning your
> problems though. All too many peope just say "it dont work" and walk away.

(StoreID jinx)

Eliezer