Re: [squid-users] Well, this is what I concluded about using squid!

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 11:00:20 +0200

Hi Firan,
   besides what Amos already said, I'd like to add a comment to this
last statement of yours:

> I will give squid a little more time but I think I will give up soon and advise the party I installed squid for to go for another, commercial, cache proxy.

The status of Squid as a Free/Open Source Software project doesn't
mean it can't be commercially supported.
In fact, on the Squid website itself there is a pretty extensive list
of companies providing commercial support for squid
(http://www.squid-cache.org/Support/services.html) .
I also expect that most commercial Linux distributions (e.g. Red Hat
Enterprise Linux, SuSE, Ubuntu..) will support Squid on their
respective distribution as part of their commercial support packages.
If that's still not enough, by now in most countries there is a
well-developed market of local integrators who - for a price - will
support FOSS; in many cases these are companies built by experienced
members of the FOSS community.
Finally, you can try contacting the Squid developers; some in the team
are offering consulting services (try getting direct access to
engineering from any commercial product).

From some of your statements it seems that you want the benefits of a
gratis product, but with the support infrastructure of a commercial
venture.
You want a powerful product in an enterprise- or telco-class
environment, but which can be set up by an unexperienced admin.

I'm sorry to say this, but both sets of requirements are
contradictory. Setting up a support infrastructure has costs,
unfortunately, which can't be sustained by a gratis project (besides
the great community and developer support Squid is already offering);
likewise, a powerful product in a demanding environment requires an
experienced admin.

This said, thanks for your feedback.
As Amos already said, we try to do our best and to improve Squid and
make it even more powerful, flexible and easy to use than it is now.
I hope that the informations he and I provided you will help you
organize a business case that can support your needs, with Squid or
with any other product on the market.

--
    /kinkie