Re: [squid-users] Reiser vs etx4

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 13:49:37 +0300

Hey there,

On 09/04/2013 01:35 PM, Alfredo Rezinovsky wrote:
> In the page reccomends reiserfs. So I tried to set up a squid for
> 200Mbps squid using reiser and squid 3.3

Since squid works in L1 and L2 directories the design meant for every FS
that has limits which reiser has a limit on your specific setup and
maybe some others.

> I had a problem, every five to ten minutes, the system freezes and the
> bandwith drops to a half for about 10 seconds.
If you can send more details on the problem you encountered it will be a
benefit while comparing extX to reiser FS.

> I tried tuning squid in many ways. And I noticed reiser flushes the
> buffers all at a time, freezing the I/O, I suppose even the network I/O.
> The solution was to reformart the cache disks using ext4 (noatime an
> so). Now the proxy runs smoothly.
Squid cannot do a thing in the kernel land and I/O from my experience
should be the OS and not the application level.

> I know there should be a reason for recomending reiser in the 1st place
> but I had very bad experience with it.
We cannot ask the one that recommended it? or maybe yes?

> Also... I know people leaving linux in favor of BSD to be able to use
> zfs. Anyone knows the status and usability of zfs in linux ?
Well maybe small groups of people do "leave" or "try" zfs but since
enterprise class storage is the real issue and I have not seen yet a BSD
vendor like RH I would be happy to see this kind of vendor..

Eliezer