[squid-users] Login on WWW page fails - without proxy there's no problem

From: uners <r.schroth_at_unexpected.de>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 08:36:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hi List!

For dozens of WWW portals logins work without problems - but there's one
portal where login fails. Providing your credentials and clicking on the GO
button I get somewhat of a page refresh, but the login fails without error
message. The problem occurs only if my transparent Squid 3.1.20 proxy is
involved - if I change the client's route to go directly over the gateway,
the login succeeds.

I contacted the site's support team, but they couldn't reproduce the
problem.

In access.log I get a lot of TCP_MISS/304 entries like the following:

1378825105.800 190 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 381 GET http://w
1378825105.988 186 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 381 GET http://w
1378825106.049 1007 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 381 GET http://w
1378825106.057 1016 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 380 GET http://w
1378825106.064 1023 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 380 GET http://w
1378825106.065 1023 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 380 GET http://w
1378825106.067 1026 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 356 GET http://w
1378825106.175 187 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 380 GET http://w
1378825106.427 216 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 333 GET http://w
1378825106.427 214 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 330 GET http://w
1378825106.427 215 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 331 GET http://w
1378825106.427 211 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 331 GET http://w
1378825106.427 213 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 331 GET http://w
1378825106.427 212 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 330 GET http://w

I never noticed these 304 entries for other WWW sites.

Is there an explanation what 304 exactly means?

Thanks for your replies!

Regards,
Bob