Re: [squid-users] Login on WWW page fails - without proxy there's no problem

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_squid.open.source.it>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:42:42 +0200

On Tuesday 10 September 2013 at 17:36:14, uners wrote:

> Hi List!
>
> For dozens of WWW portals logins work without problems - but there's one
> portal where login fails.

Is there any (security?) reason not to tell us which site this is?

> Providing your credentials and clicking on the GO button I get somewhat of a
> page refresh, but the login fails without error message. The problem occurs
> only if my transparent Squid 3.1.20 proxy is involved - if I change the
> client's route to go directly over the gateway, the login succeeds.

What happens if you use Squid as a non-transparent proxy?

> I contacted the site's support team, but they couldn't reproduce the
> problem.
>
> In access.log I get a lot of TCP_MISS/304 entries like the following:
>
> 1378825105.800 190 172.16.90.10 TCP_MISS/304 381 GET http://w

> Is there an explanation what 304 exactly means?

Yes: see http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidLogs#HTTP_status_codes and
for example http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/HTRESP.html

Regards,

Antony.

--
"It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the sense of
achievement you get from getting them to work at all. In other words - and