Re: [squid-users] Re: Login on WWW page fails - without proxy there's no problem

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 20:53:08 +1200

On 12/09/2013 7:03 p.m., uners wrote:
> Antony Stone wrote
>> Er, I think you mean "intercept"?
>>
>> http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.1/cfgman/http_port.html
> The "intercept" option is the successor of "transparent"?
> From which Squid version on? The link above doesn't tell.

The above link is version-specific configuration details. Note that you
will find no such option as "transparent" in that page.

> I run Debian7-shipped Squid3 which is 3.1.20.

Since 3.1 started
(http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.1/RELEASENOTES.html#ss3.2). It
used to be listed in the change history on the directives cross-series
documentation (http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/http_port/) but is
now so many years ago (>3 squid series) that the version it changed in
is no longer detailed in the must-know changes.

Debian 8 ships 3.3.8 these days.
If you need an upgrade to the current version (its worth it):
  * change your sources.list to pull from "Testing" repository
  * run: aptitude update && aptitude install squid3
  * revert the changes made to sources.list
  * run: aptitude update

That will install the current squid3 package from the mostly-stable
Debian repository, and reset to using your old repository for any future
updates. You can switch aptitude for apt-get if you prefer.
  Besides the major feature gains, the 3.3 series includes a lot of
configuration checks, debugging improvements and far more HTTP protocol
support.

Amos