Re: [squid-users] caching for 60 minutes, ignoring any header

From: Ron Klein <solution_at_ronklein.co.il>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:21:18 +0300

My example of favicons was to simplify the question. The real case is
different.
I want to cache all "favicons" (that is, other resources, internally
used) for 60 minutes.
For a given "favicon", I'd like to have the following caching policy:
The period of 60 minutes should start when the first consumer consumes
the favicon. Let's mark the time for that first request as T0 (T Zero).
During T0 until T0+60minutes, this favicon should be considered as
"fresh", in terms of caching.
After T0+60minutes, this favicon should be considered as "stale", in
terms of caching, and should be re-fetched by Squid, upon request.
The favicon would be cached even if the original server explicitly
instructed not to cache nor store the favicon. Yes, I know it might be
considered a bad practice, and perhaps illegal to some readers, but I
assure you that the other servers (the real web servers) that provide
the responses, are business partners and they gave me their approval to
override their caching policy. However, they don't want to change their
configuration and it's totally up to me to create my caching layer.

And another thing: the clients are not web browsers. The clients
consuming these resources ("favicons" for sake of simplicity) are
software components using HTTP as their transport protocol.

Thanks for any advice on the subject.