Re: [squid-users] Setting up Squid 3

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 04:28:51 +1300

On 1/10/2013 1:52 a.m., Nikolas Kallis wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I recently installed Squid 3 and need help setting it up seing the
> developers didn't bother writing documentation for it.
>
> So far, I have been using my operating systems distribution
> documentation for configuration, but, as with all Linux documentation,
> the documentation sucks.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Squid

Don't know who "leesharp" is, but they are not one of the Squid
developers nor even the squid3 package maintainers responsible for Squid
in Debian/Ubuntu.
You can ignore most of what is on that page.

The only actually useful details was pointing out that the http_port
directive and some of the acl directives are disabled by default on Ubuntu.
That is all you need to know and all you need to change to get an
operating squid-3 proxy these days.

1) install squid package
2) Set the http_port to the port or ip:port where you want the proxy
listening
3) Set the localnet ACL to the IP address range where you want to
receive client traffic from.
4) restart the proxy
5) configure browser

(outside of Debian and its child OS like Ubuntu steps 2-4 are not required).

> I have so far installed Squid 3 and set http_port to the following:
>
> http_port 10.0.0.3:3128

Okay. That means steps 1 and 2 completed.

> The next section said:
>
> "Now we'll setup who is allowed access to the proxy. Find the
> http_access section (should start around line 1860,line 2589 in 7.04
> and line 2608 in 7.10 release) Uncomment these 2 lines:
>
> #acl our_networks src 192.168.1.0/24 192.168.2.0/24
> #http_access allow our_networks"
>
> ... Problem is these parameters don't exist.

The document is written for squid 2.x. You may have missed the
disclaimer at the top about squid 3.x being a different package.

This is step 3. The default ACL is should be named "localnet" in your
config file.

You will have to take that issue about then not being enabled by default
with your operating system distributor. They are the ones with a policy
about patching the squid.conf defaults to remove our configuration defaults.

> What I am wanting to do is setup Squid 3 to listen in on 10.0.0.3:3128
> (which I have done), and serve the IP address 10.0.0.2 only. I also
> want Squid 3 to use the NIC IP '192.168.66.2' for outgoing connections
> (the server Squid 3 is running on has two NIC's with two IP's).

The default is for the OS itself to decide what IP address is used by
Squid. It generally picks the first IP assigned to the primary NIC.

You can set tcp_outgoing_address if you want to force a particular IP to
be used.
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/tcp_outgoing_address/

Amos