Re: [squid-users] external_acl_type helper exiting

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 04:46:44 +1300

On 1/10/2013 12:55 a.m., Warren Baker wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Warren Baker wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>> Arg. yes, too much wading through IP specs today. I meant rfc1738 encoding
>>> (Squid flavour of it anyway).
>> Ah ok. So i need to cater for this.
>>
>> Thanks for the point in the right direction.
> Amos, the actual root cause is this:
>
> read /dev/stdin: operation timed out
>
> I don't seem to find a timeout value in Go on reading from stdin. Also
> since I have run the helper manually for days without an issue, it
> points to Squid timing it out.
> I can work around the timing out issue in the helper however Squid
> still sees that it gets no response from the helper and shuts the
> helper down and then restarts it.
>
> You have any ideas?

I can't help with the Go side of things unfortuately. It is still on my
TODO list for learning.

Is it a timeout of the read() call or the stdin actually closing on
timeout? The first one can possibly be caught explicitly in your code.
If the error code is given and the buffer empty re-try the read(). There
should be a different error code entirely when Squid closes the socket
to shutdown the helper.

Amos