[squid-users] Apache Traffic Server vs Squid

From: Omid Kosari <omidkosari_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 11:16:19 -0700 (PDT)

I love squid and working with it for several years . For many years i was
betting on squid at least in forwarding proxy cache .
But recently a new competitor comes to open source market
http://trafficserver.apache.org/
I did not even tested it but i am going to prepare myself to defend squid
against ATS fan :)
His main sentence is Squid is like Apache http server (has many features but
lazy) and ATS is like nginx (less features but lightweight) .

I reviewed ATS . in theorical world it has most of critical features that i
need that even some commercial caches doesn't have like TPROXY . even it
supports long time squid feature request cacheurl .
http://trafficserver.apache.org/docs/trunk/admin/plugins/cacheurl/index.en.html

Also they created a section in wiki to translate squid configuration to ATS
config .
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/SquidConfigTranslation

A simple search in google shows some articles about comparing "apache
traffic server vs squid" like :
http://static.usenix.org/events/lisa11/tech/slides/hedstrom.pdf
http://archive.apachecon.com/na2013/presentations/27-Wednesday/A_Patchy_Web/16:15-Apache_Traffic_Server.pdf

Now i am trying to inform Squid community to create some comparisons and
articles in web to reinforcement squid .

I really love to see good informative comments .

Thanks