Re: [squid-users] Bandwith limit

From: Alfredo Rezinovsky <alfredo_at_fing.uncu.edu.ar>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 15:09:23 -0300

El 20/10/13 13:03, Antony Stone escribió:
> On Sunday 20 October 2013 at 16:50, Alfredo Rezinovsky wrote:
>
>> I need to limit the INBOUND bandwith to squid
> Why?
I need the http traffic to be between limit.
>> Using delay pools I can limit the traffic to the clients. I need to
>> limit the traffic from the internet, leaving at wire speed the traffic
>> to the clients.
> What speed is your Internet link?
>
> What is "wire speed" in your network?
Wire speed is 100Mbps or 1Gbps.
>> Is that possible?
> Realistically, only your ISP can do this.
>
> After all, once the packets have reached your router, you either use them or
> you throw them away. If they're part of a TCP stream, throwing them away just
> means the other end will re-send them.

> There's nothing you can do to stop a packet arriving at your router - you can
> only decide what to do with it afterwards.
The package arrives to my router but it can be delayed before reaches
app layer.
> You _can_ try to throttle the rate of your outbound acknowledgement packets,
> in order to limit the rate at which new packets arrive, but this is:
>
> a) very complicated - you have to throttle each connection from different
> sources on the Internet independently
>
> b) very approximate - you can only *try* to limit the rate at which packets
> get sent to you (and this may not work how you expect), and there's nothing
> you can do about the amount of data in each packet (you can only assume that
> each packet is MTU-sized)
>
> c) generally unlikely to give a worthwhile result.
>
> Oh, and by the way, this is not a Squid question. If you want more guidance
> on what is possible, you should investigate IPtables and http://www.lartc.org

I know how to do it with qsdisc in linux. I can queue them and let them
pass with delay.
All I want to know is if I can do this with squid.

--
Alfrenovsky