Re: [squid-users] Why are we getting bad percentage of hits in Squid3.3 compared with Squid2.6 ?

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 18:58:45 +0200

Hey Manuel,

Squid 2.6 and 3.3.9 have couple changes that might cause this "side effect".
There is a big different from lower *hard* hits that being logged as
TCP_HIT to TCP_MISS/304 and many other combinations.

Analyzing squid access.log in 3.3 branch is not the same as 2.6\7\other.

If the origin server is serving an object that cannot be cached by
default troubles are probable to happen.
If the objects from the origin server are cachable by default then it
will be very simple to track down why the TCP_MEM_HIT or TCP_HIT has
lower rates.
Notice that TCP_MISS/304 can reflect a HIT that squid cache actually
made possible but the client software just verified that the object that
squid made possible to be cached was fetched from local cache(browser or
other).
Squid has in the new branches a re-validation function that can seem
like not a HIT while it is an integrity check to make sure that the
client is fetching or fetched the right and up-to-date object from cache.
To make sure that 3.3.9 has high hit rate you will need more then just
"HITS VS MISSES".
You will need to understand how the logs and what the logs reflects.

If you want a more accurate verification get one copy of the
access.log(if there is one) and try to make sure you analyzed it in depth.
Can you find TCP_MISS/304 in the logs? if so how much of them?

If you need more help I'm here.

Eliezer