[squid-users] Why are we getting bad percentage of hits in Squid3.3 compared with Squid2.6 ?

From: Manuel <manuelgarcia_at_trashmail.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 09:43:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

We are moving to new more powerful servers with CentOS 6 64bit instead of
CentOS 5, with SSD instead of HDD and with Squid 3.3.9 instead of Squid
2.6.STABLE21. We are running Squid as a reverse proxy.

The performance of Squid 3.3.9 seems to be excellent tested with around
125087 "clients accessing cache" and 20000 "file descriptors in use" in a
single server but there is one big problem: we are getting much worst
percentage of hits in Squid 2.6 in comparison with the same config in Squid
2.6. With the same config we are getting around 99% of hits in Squid 2.6 and
just 55-60% of hits on Squid 3.3.9

We are using the refresh_pattern options override-expire ignore-reload (as
mentioned before is the same squid.conf config in every server -old and new
ones-)

Any idea on what might be the problem or any suggestion on how to find it?

Thank you in advance

PS: Since we have lots of concurrent connections requesting the same
addresses we expect to add to the main webpages the Cache-Control
stale-while-revalidate=60 header which I guess that will increase the number
of hits on the servers running Squid 3.3.9 but for the moment the goal is to
first try to reach a more similar percentage to Squid 2.6 in the same
situation since stale-while-revalidate would be ignored by Squid 2.6.