[squid-users] Re: Caching large files (i.e .ipsw)

From: Archer <helious_at_me.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 12:49:03 -0800 (PST)

Amos Jeffries-2 wrote
>> 3. Files from a specific domain / ip / url
>
> For URL (or all URLs in a domain) ...
>
> Cacheability depends on the specific response and client requests used
> to fetch it. So what is needed to improve cacheability varies a great
> deal between specific URLs.
>
> If you can present some of the apple download URLs which are not caching
> when you think they should we can help explain or solve. The redbot.org
> tool is also very helpful in indicating what the HTTP limitations are.
>
> Amos

Hopefully these two url's should be of some help;

This link is used by iTunes every time a software update/restore is done.

http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/com.apple.jingle.appserver.client.MZITunesClientCheck/version/

The content on this server only added to and almost never changed, so I'm
hoping i can tell squid that all content (except the initial xml file) is
alway fresh so that it is never deleted.

i.e.
http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/091-2397.20130319.EEae9/iPad2,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore.ipsw
http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS7/031-1020.20131022.14lik/iPad2,1_7.0.3_11B511_Restore.ipsw

when new software is brought out, it is simply added to the list rather than
old software being removed.

The following links are used for OS X software updates:

http://swdownload.apple.com
http://swcdn.apple.com

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how these ones work, but i suspect it is
fairly similar to the iOS one above.