Re: [squid-users] CLOSE_WAIT state in Squid leads to bandwidth drop

From: SaRaVanAn <saravanan.nagarajan87_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 17:54:18 +0530

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Antony Stone
<Antony.Stone_at_squid.open.source.it> wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 November 2013 at 11:37, SaRaVanAn wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> I am doing a small test for bandwidth measurement of my test setup
>> while squid is running. I am running a script to pump the traffic from
>> client browser to Web-server via Squid box.
>
> Er, do you really mean you are sending data from the browser to the server?
>
>> The script creates around 50 user sessions and tries to do wget of randomly
>> selected dynamic URL's.
>
> That sounds more standard - wget will fetch data from the server to the
> browser.
   =========
          The script randomly picks the URL from the list of URL's
defined in a file and tries to fetch that URL.

> What do you mean by "dynamic URLs"? Where / how is the content actually being
> generated?

    ==========
               Its a standard list of URL's with question mark in the
end to avoid Squid caching.
For example : www.espncricinfo.com?

>> After some time,
>
> Please define.

==========
        After 15-20 minutes from the time of execution of script.

>> I'm observing a drop in bandwidth of the link,
>
> Please define - what network setup are you using - what bandwidth are you
> getting at the start. what level does it drop to, does it return to the
> previous level?

============
                                 eth0 eth1
Windows Laptop --------- Linux machine(Squid Running) ----- Internet

We are measuring the outgoing traffic in the link(eth1), which leads
to the internet in order to calculate the bandwidth usage. Eth1 link
bandwidth capability is around 10 Mbps. we are able utilize a maximum
of 7-8 Mbps when squid is running. After 15 minutes, there is a sudden
drop in bandwidth from 8Mbps to 6.5 Mbps and it comes back to 8Mbps
after 2 -3 min.

>> Squid version : 2.6.STABLE14
>
> That is rather old (the last release of the 2.6 branch was STABLE23 September
> 2009). Is there any reason you have not upgraded to a current version?

=========
    There are some practical difficulties(our side) in upgrading to
newer version.