Re: [squid-users] Squid: End-of-life for each release.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 00:58:08 +1300

On 6/12/2013 12:19 a.m., Jakub Mikusek wrote:
> Morning folks,
>
> Could someone point me to a resource which clearly states end-of-life for
> each Squid release?

We officially support 1 stable release at a time.

An exception was made for 2.7 configuration/installation support until
squid-3 reached relative feature parity, which happened with squid-3.2.

(Thats not to say there is *no* support, you may still be able to find
consultants willing to support any version for a fee.).

> I checked the FAQ, mailing list archives, asked big brother Google and
> browsed Squid website but found nothing explicit.
> The closest I got to http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/ which doesn't
> clearly states when given Squid went out of support.

As of the date the next versions first stable. Though for 2.7 series it
was 14 Aug 2012:
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/201208/0168.html

> I went through couple security advisories for squid and I see that there
> were still some patches for 2.7 released last year.
>
> All of that comes down to a question - is squid 2.7 still supported when
> it comes to security issues, and if so - how much
> longer will the support be there.

No. Squid-2.7 stopped getting even security patches a year or so before
it went out of support.

Security issues tend to be the exception with support.
 Within Squid-3 series which series get patches depends on how easy the
fix is to port back to older unsupported versions, and whether I think
the particular out-of-support version is widely used or not. Sometimes
its a lot of work and I decide not to go there, but a distro security
team will do the back-port work and supply a patch for everyone to use.
 I do not make releases for squid-2 at all and Henrik is no longer
dealing with Squid code, so that series is very unlikely to ever be patched.

Amos