[squid-users] RPM for Squid 3.3.11 is OUT.

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 14:50:28 +0200

I am happy to release the new RPMs for squid version 3.3.11. and the
beta version 3.4.0.3.
(links at the bottom of the article)

This release continues the big addition of *rock* cache_dir type.

One of the issues that came and blocked squid for a very long time is
the missing option to use *MultiCpu* capability of the hosting machine.
The design of squid was probably not for 32 cores(real) when it was born
in the 1990's.
Because 32 cores existed only on a mainframes I would assume that since
the developer and anybody did not had such horse power in hands he
didn't even tried to concur it.
There is also the big difference between designing a big system to a
small system which probably was the main issue in hands.

After a very long time(since version 1 to 3.1) that squid was working in
a very simple mode of *one process*.
While using ICP(newer versions) to communicate between different
instances(process of squid that can sit on different machines) at 3.2
MultiCPU support started.

SMP was a redesign of many squid internals in order to allow the option
of couple *instances* on the same *hardware*.
This is where *rock* stands on.
On this point which one *instance* will be different from two instances.
Rock based on shared memory usage by two different *process* instances
which is what most advanced software is based upon.

It's sounds unrelated and maybe even far from imagination but eventually
all memory if it's a disk a chip or anything else is just a memory.

So Rock is actually a DB system that uses a memory chunks with *fixed*
size in a similar way to what *RAID* systems does.
The key difference between squid Rock and other levels is that it uses
32KB(32,000 bytes) chunks and which a 1K chunk of data will *consume*
32KB of disk space.
It is similar to memory pages and disk sectors size but is used more
specific for web traffic.

It might seem like a very simple task but once you see a POWER7 boots up
with a tiny line at the top of the screen that shows:
"[root_at_mail ~]#"
for example, you understand that the traffic and load can be quite high
on this machine.
(not to mention that you cannot plug it to your power jack at home)

* I have tried to be more realistic then 3.3.10 release.
* If you are up to see a nice *something* about packaging look at
"Slamming-Your-Head-Into-Keyboard" in Vimeo.
* Any notes and comments are wanted and welcome!

The RPMS at:
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/x86_64/

The package includes 3 RPMs one for the squid core and helpers, the
other is for debuging and the third is the init script.
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/x86_64/squid-3.3.11-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/x86_64/squid-sysvinit-3.3.11-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/x86_64/squid-debuginfo-3.3.11-1.el6.x86_64.rpm

To Each and everyone of them there is an *asc* file which contains PGP and
MD5 SHA1 SHA2 SHA256 SHA384 SHA512 hashes.

I also released the SRPM which is very simple at:
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/x86_64/SRPM/squid-3.3.11-1.el6.src.rpm

* I do still hope to release in the next weeks a RPM of 3.HEAD build for
ALPHA testers of the newest bug fixes and squid improvements.

* Sorry that the I686 release is not out yet but I suspect it will take
me some time to install that machine locally.

Eliezer