[squid-users] HOWTO backup for parent proxy ?

From: babajaga <augustus_meyer_at_yahoo.de>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 10:28:47 -0800 (PST)

I have a squid-A for my LAN, which forwards all http-traffic to a parent
squid-B using simple config:

cache_peer x.x.x.x parent yyyy 0 no-query no-digest no-netdb-exchange
never_direct allow all

But in case, the parent (squid-B) is not reachable, the clients accessing
squid-A simply hang,
and in cache.log for squid-A I see

TCP connection to x.x.x.x/yyy failed

What would be the simplest method to set up an automatic backup, either
another parent (preferred) OR just to have a direct connection from squid-A
?
In case of backup parent, it should ONLY be used in case squid-B fails.