Re: [squid-users] HOWTO backup for parent proxy ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:15:12 +1300

On 2013-12-10 07:28, babajaga wrote:
> I have a squid-A for my LAN, which forwards all http-traffic to a
> parent
> squid-B using simple config:

> cache_peer x.x.x.x parent yyyy 0 no-query no-digest no-netdb-exchange
> never_direct allow all
>

> But in case, the parent (squid-B) is not reachable, the clients
> accessing
> squid-A simply hang,
> and in cache.log for squid-A I see
>
> TCP connection to x.x.x.x/yyy failed
>
> What would be the simplest method to set up an automatic backup, either
> another parent (preferred) OR just to have a direct connection from
> squid-A
> ?
> In case of backup parent, it should ONLY be used in case squid-B fails.

The simplest way is to configure two parents:

cache_peer x.x.x.x parent yyyy 0 no-query no-digest no-netdb-exchange
default
cache_peer y.y.y.y parent zzzz 0 no-query no-digest no-netdb-exchange

The first will be used unless it goes down.

NP: You may have noticed the selection in access.log is called
FIRSTUP_PARENT as in "use the first available from list of parent
cache_peer's".

Amos