Re: [squid-users] external_acl doesn't work after upgrade debian 6 squid 2.7 to debian 7 squid 3.1.20

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:54:17 +1300

On 2013-12-11 11:29, Thomas Stegbauer wrote:
> Am 10.12.2013 22:49, schrieb Amos Jeffries:
>> On 2013-12-11 06:25, Thomas Stegbauer wrote:
>>> Hi Amos,
>>>
>>> sorry for double post.
>>> It looks like only one of the external_acl scripts get the SRC
>>> addresses sent.
>>> as i modified and wrote out line to a file, there is only one file
>>> filling ip-addresses.
>>> all other logs have a size of 0byte.
>>>
>>> What could be the reason for that?
>>
>> Possibly your script is operating fast enough that Squid does not need
>> to send lookups to more than 1 helper process. Check the cachemgr
>> external_acl report to see how many requests are being sent to each
>> helper.
>>
>> Amos
>>

> Hi Amos,
>
> thank you very much for the answer.
> squid is asking, cause if not, the process won't die and log the error
> in cache.log

With PHP that is not strictly true. I've found versions in Debian which
timeout on script execution duration and halt the helper. Leading to
your "logs have a size of 0byte." state.

I'm getting a bit fuzzy nowdays since I dropped PHP myself as a helper
language some months back. But IIRC there was at least on version where
if I/O happened frequently enough it kept running for longer. If you are
lucky you may have that version of PHP.

> also in cachemgr.cgi i no requests answered?
>
> External ACL Statistics: phpauthscript
> Cache size: 0
> program: /etc/squid3/authscript
> number active: 4 of 5 (0 shutting down)
> requests sent: 0
> replies received: 0
> queue length: 0
> avg service time: 0 msec
>
> # FD PID # Requests Flags Time Offset Request
> 1 14 47608 0 0.000 0 (none)
> 2 30 47609 0 0.000 0 (none)
> 3 41 47610 0 0.000 0 (none)
> 4 49 47611 0 0.000 0 (none)
>
> Flags key:
>
> B = BUSY
> W = WRITING
> C = CLOSING
> S = SHUTDOWN PENDING
>
> what could be the reason?

No requests *sent* to the helper. Which is what we are looking for.
Indicating that the aforementioned timeout is probably the cause of
this.

If your helper is not doing anything beyond loading the SRC IP in
database and sending some associated username back to Squid you could
try the SQL_session external ACL helper bundled with 3.3 and later.

Amos