Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.3 is very aggressive with memory

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 21:32:18 -0700

On 12/12/2013 06:50 PM, Nathan Hoad wrote:

> This leads me to believe that the objects that are consuming all of
> the memory are genuinely using that memory, and are freed on shutdown.

This hypothesis is relatively easy to test, especially if you can
reproduce the high memory usage in a lab (or if you can control live
load on a given Squid instance): Load Squid for a while. Then, instead
of stopping Squid, let it sit for a few minutes without traffic so that
there are no HTTP transactions waiting for timeouts and such. Then again
load Squid with traffic for a few minutes. Repeat a few times while
measuring memory usage.

If, after a few iterations, the base of the memory usage humps stay
about the same, then your theory is probably correct. If the base of the
humps keep climbing up, there is an effective leak, even if all that
accumulated memory is freed by Squid during a proper shutdown.

The next step would depend on the above outcome. Either we will need to
compare memory usage of v3.2 and v3.3 (to identify the objects or areas
that started consuming more RAM) OR we can help you find the v3.3 leak
(e.g., using valgrind or log analysis).

HTH,

Alex.