Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.3 is very aggressive with memory

From: Nathan Hoad <nathan_at_getoffmalawn.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 20:08:50 +1100

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Alex Rousskov
<rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com> wrote:
> On 12/12/2013 06:50 PM, Nathan Hoad wrote:
>
>> This leads me to believe that the objects that are consuming all of
>> the memory are genuinely using that memory, and are freed on shutdown.
>
> This hypothesis is relatively easy to test, especially if you can
> reproduce the high memory usage in a lab (or if you can control live
> load on a given Squid instance): Load Squid for a while. Then, instead
> of stopping Squid, let it sit for a few minutes without traffic so that
> there are no HTTP transactions waiting for timeouts and such. Then again
> load Squid with traffic for a few minutes. Repeat a few times while
> measuring memory usage.
>
> If, after a few iterations, the base of the memory usage humps stay
> about the same, then your theory is probably correct. If the base of the
> humps keep climbing up, there is an effective leak, even if all that
> accumulated memory is freed by Squid during a proper shutdown.

Controlling live load on the given Squid instance isn't possible (an
office of ~30 people), and so far all attempts to reproduce the issue
in a clean environment have been unsuccessful - this weekend though I
am attempting some heavier tests by running the past week's access.log
through a Squid instance in controlled environment. I will see if this
reproduces the issue I've been seeing and if so, will do what you've
described above.

> The next step would depend on the above outcome. Either we will need to
> compare memory usage of v3.2 and v3.3 (to identify the objects or areas
> that started consuming more RAM) OR we can help you find the v3.3 leak
> (e.g., using valgrind or log analysis).
>

> HTH,
>
> Alex.

Also, to answer Amos' question without another email, this is an
upgrade from 3.2.13 to 3.3.11, although the issue did present itself
in 3.3.10 as well.