Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.3 is very aggressive with memory

From: Nathan Hoad <nathan_at_getoffmalawn.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 20:11:35 +1100

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 10:33 PM, Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il> wrote:
> Hey Nathan,
>
> I am looking for more details on the subject in hand in the shape of:
> Networking Hardware

Straight out of lspci:

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5722
Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
03:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5703
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

Two network cards - one for internal traffic, the other for external.

> Testing Methods

 - a mixture of direct and intercepted HTTP and HTTPS traffic, hitting
the configured ICAP server and not.
 - both valid and invalid upstream SSL certificates, hundreds of
concurrent requests from a single client
 - thrashing Squid with thousands of connections that are aborted
after 800ms, running for ~30-40 seconds at a time.
 - currently I'm putting the week's access.log through Squid to see if
that triggers it, for a poor approximation of the traffic.

> Is it a SMP squid setup?
 - both SMP (2 workers) and non-SMP.

> In the case you use a 32bit system which is limited to how much ram??(I
> remember something about a windows nt with 64GB).

 - This particular host has 3gb of RAM. Previously running a non-SMP
Squid 3.2.13 instance and according to logs, maxed out at ~500mb of
resident after running for hours or days at a time, with a 220mb
cache_mem. Now, however the memory usage grows to 900mb in ~40
minutes, and typically reaches 1.5gb in ~4 hours. We have a ulimit in
place to kill it once it hits 1.5gb, but prior to putting that in
place it typically reached 2gb.

> If you can provide more details I will be happy to try and test it.
>
> Thanks,
> Eliezer

If there's any other information you think may be useful, feel free to ask.