Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.3 is very aggressive with memory

From: Nathan Hoad <nathan_at_getoffmalawn.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 16:24:42 +1100

Okay, to follow up. I still cannot reproduce this in a lab
environment, but I have implemented a way of doing what Alex described
on the production machine. I run two instances of Squid with the same
config and switch the transparent proxy out by changing the redirect
rules in iptables. The second instance is running without a cache_dir
though, to prevent the possibility of two instances sharing the same
directory and running amok. If requested, I can create a second
cache_dir for the second instance to mimic the config entirely.

While running under this configuration, I've confirmed that memory
usage does go up when active, and stays at that level when inactive,
allowing some time for timeouts and whatnot. I'm currently switching
between the two instances every fifteen minutes.

Here is a link to the memory graph for the entire running time of the
second process, at 1 minute intervals:
http://getoffmalawn.com/static/mem-graph.png. The graph shows memory
use steadily increasing during activity, but remaining reasonably
stable during inactivity.

Where shall we go from here? Given that I can switch between the
instances, impacting performance on the production box is not of huge
concern now, so I can run the second instance under Valgrind, or bump
up the debug logging, or whatever would be helpful.

As an aside, I've been reading some of the code pointed at by traces
I've got, and I've stumbled upon the fact that nearly every caller of
StoreEntry::replaceHttpReply will leak HttpReply objects if the
internal mem_obj pointer of a StoreEntry is set to NULL. There's a
critical log message that occurs in this situation which I have not
seen, so I can conclude that this is not the issue I am seeing, but
it's an issue nonetheless. If there's interest, I'll submit a patch
for this issue.

Many thanks,

Nathan.

--