Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.3 is very aggressive with memory

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 22:54:35 -0700

On 12/16/2013 10:24 PM, Nathan Hoad wrote:

> While running under this configuration, I've confirmed that memory
> usage does go up when active, and stays at that level when inactive,
> allowing some time for timeouts and whatnot. I'm currently switching
> between the two instances every fifteen minutes.
>
> Here is a link to the memory graph for the entire running time of the
> second process, at 1 minute intervals:
> http://getoffmalawn.com/static/mem-graph.png. The graph shows memory
> use steadily increasing during activity, but remaining reasonably
> stable during inactivity.

I agree that this looks like a memory leak, but (in general) it could
also be some kind of memory pooling or cache entry accumulation.

> Where shall we go from here?

I recommend the following next steps:

1. Set "memory_pools off".

2. Disable all caching with "cache deny all".

Do you see as similar memory growth pattern after the above two steps?

* If yes: Time for valgrind or ALL,9 debugging. I can help you make that
choice if needed. You can actually do those things now, without doing
steps 1 and 2 first, but valgrind and log analysis take time so if we
can avoid it by eliminating false positives and/or simplifying the
setup, we should do that first...

* If no: Try re-enabling caching, but using smaller memory [and disk?]
cache sizes so that a cache gets and stays _full_ way before you run out
of RAM. This will eliminate cache index growth as a suspect. If your
disk cache is full already or uses Rock store, then this applies to
memory cache only. Do you see as similar memory growth pattern after
re-enabling caching? Are your caches full?

HTH,

Alex.