Re: [squid-users] Need help on squid configuration with remote icap server

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 04:07:34 +0200

Hey Anil,

The first thing to start with is to use telnet or netcat to verify that
the ICAP service is working in the TCP level.
"nc -v 192.168.10.9 1344"
should also show some useful information on the basic connection status.
You can also try to run it on the same machine of the ICAP service and
from another IP and\or machine on the network.

The next thing is to try to understand if the service allows OPTIONS
requests or\and service outside the scope of the localhost(127.0.0.1).
It can be firewall level or service settings.

By the way what ICAP service are you using? c-icap ? Is it the basic
c-icap service?

I assume that if it works on the same machine fine the software should
provide the basic functions but it needs to be tested.
Squid first test for an OPTIONS icap request which is kind of a "echo
ping" test for the ICAP service state.

In a case you got into the level of tcpdump I would try to just see if
GreasySpoon works on the same topology and hosts:
https://github.com/jburnim/GreasySpoon

It is a nice ICAP service which actually works very well and is good for
testing purposes.
I have not used it in a production network but it shows how the protocol
implemented in a very good way that can be tested and learned.

The settings which you describe is a bit weird but leave it for now.

All The Bests,
Eliezer