Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.3 is very aggressive with memory

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 22:52:16 -0700

On 12/22/2013 12:39 AM, Nathan Hoad wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> I recommend the following next steps:
>> 1. Set "memory_pools off".
>> 2. Disable all caching with "cache deny all".
>>
>> Do you see as similar memory growth pattern after the above two steps?

> I do see a similar pattern, although slowed [...] I'm
> happy to go in the other direction and raise the size of the memory
> pools, if that could be something useful.

No, please keep memory pools off and caching disabled for as long as you
can -- it simplifies triage.

> I have got an ALL,9 log, but I am hesitant to unleash it on anyone as
> it is a 20gb file, from start to stop. If there is interest, I can
> still upload it - it compresses down to 1.7gb.

I will email you upload instructions privately.

> Running valgrind produces repeated, spurious errors

Could be a platform-specific issue, bit if you have not ./configured
Squid --with-valgrind-debug and --disable-optimizations, please do so
and repeat the valgrind test. If valgrind works after that configuration
change, post or upload the resulting valgrind log (keeping Squid's
debug_options at ALL,1).

Here is a valgrind configuration that you may find useful (adjust as
needed):

> valgrind -v
> --trace-children=yes
> --num-callers=30
> --log-file=valgrind-%p.log
> --leak-check=full
> --show-reachable=no
> --suppressions=valgrind.supp

The suppression file is attached (it is outdated and incomplete but
probably still helps).

Please note that valgrind slows Squid down a lot.

Thank you,

Alex.