Re: [squid-users] Slow loading WEB-PAGES

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_squid.open.source.it>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 11:37:08 +0100

On Tuesday 24 December 2013 at 10:55:57, zeagus zpt wrote:

> Hello squid-users,
> I think my clients wait for a long time to view web pages.
> Would you mind suggesting a way to solve this problem?
> All the Best ...

1. What speed interconnect do you have between clients and Squid?

2. What speed connection do you have between Squid and the Internet?

3. Access a cacheable* web page (via Squid), note the time taken.

4. Request the same page again from the same browser on the same machine
(still via Squid), note the time taken.

5. Request the same page again from the same browser on a different machine
(also going via Squid), note the time taken.

6. Request the same page again from either of the above machines, this time
direct (not via Squid), note the time taken.

7. Repeat for at least three different websites which show the problem.

8. Repeat when your network traffic is low, for example after employees have
gone home (if this is a commercial network).

* "Cacheable" means a web page which Squid is allowed to cache - check Squid's
access log and/or the page headers if you're not sure.

Tests 3, 4 and 5 should tell you whether Squid is caching (times for tests 4
and 5 should be notably less than test 3).

Tests 4, 5 and 6 should tell you whether Squid is causing a problem (test 6
should not be noticeably faster than tests 4 and 5).

In short - if test 6 (for all the sites you check) shows long response times,
then you either have a saturated connection to the Internet, or the sites you
are testing are simply slow.

If test 8 also shows long response times, the sites are just slow.

If the site is slow, and the pages you're accessing are cacheable, then Squid
should improve the access times for tests 5 and 6 - if not, start (at the very
least) with the Squid access log, to see what response times it's reporting.

Happy Christmas,

Antony.

--
"How I managed so long without this book baffles the mind."
 - Richard Stoakley, Group Program Manager, Microsoft Corporation,