Re: [squid-users] Fwd: Slow Loading of webpages

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 18:13:54 +1300

On 2/01/2014 9:03 a.m., glen dovey wrote:
> this is my first time using a proxy/squid and i believe i have managed
> to get a working install going except squid takes 10+ seconds to load
> a page from a domain initially, then it speeds up. im not sure why
> this is.

Whole of Squid speeds up even for other never-seen-before URLs? or just
the one URL request speeds up?

The former is usually because Squid is loading caches and generating
indexes in memory. It can service traffic while doing that, but only at
a slow rate.

The later is usually because Squid is caching. A MISS request from the
network is almost always slower than a HIT request from local machine
memory or disk. MISS involves DNS lookups, TCP connection setups
(multiple sometimes) and processing of Squid<->Internet traffic on top
of what the HIT would be doing.

> i am able to resolve domains almost instantly (20ms ping)
> the server load seems fine, squid uses 4% ram
>
> and so im thinking it must be a configuration issue, but i dont know
> where to look since this is a near default config.
>
> i dont know what information you need to help diagnose my issue, be
> patient with me i am a new debian user.

Are you using the Debian squid3 package? if not please install that one
instead of the old "squid" package.

What is the output of "squid3 -v" ?

What is your squid.conf content?

What time does wget command from the Squid machine take to fetch the
same slow URL?

HTH
Amos