Re: [squid-users] passthrough download manager's multipart downloads / range requests?

From: <mxx_at_mailspot.at>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 22:38:33 +0100

Hi Amos,

thank you very much for taking the time to help me out!

I had no idea that this was supposed to work by default.

This explains why I wasn't able to find anything :D

I used the default "privacy" config (explicitly allowing some
request_headers and deny the rest) from the wiki.
The problem was caused by not allowing the "Range" request header
("Range-Request" was allowed already).

Now it works :)

> NOTE: download managers which open parallel connections are *degrading*
> the TCP congestion controls and reducing available network resources
> across the Internet. Reducing their parallel requests to a single fetch
> is actually a good thing.

Understood.
Using this squid proxy for my tiny home network it's just that it can
get really annoying when I have to download a single file only and the
maximum I get with 1 connection is a few kb/s. So I'm unable to resist
the temptation ;)

Thanks again for all the info. I was on the wrong trail all the time.

Kind regards,

Max