Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.3 is very aggressive with memory

From: Nathan Hoad <nathan_at_getoffmalawn.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 17:41:17 +1100

Alright, it took me a little longer to get information than I
anticipated, but here it is. I can confirm that this is related to
HTTPS inspection.

I started by running the second instance with only transparent HTTP,
letting the first instance take care of HTTPS as I mentioned earlier.
In this situation, the second instance memory never grew higher than
40mb, but the first still grew as expected. I then switched it around,
and ran the second instance serving only transparent HTTPS and a very
minimal config, and the second is now the one that grows. The first
one still grows, but I suspect this is due to direct proxy SSL bump,
memory pools and caching being enabled.

The second config: http://getoffmalawn.com/static/squid.conf.sslonly
I'm happy to strip this down further.

All of the following information was taken after 7.5 hours of activity:

28527 squid 15 0 1040m 931m 4680 S 23.2 30.6 19:45.00 squid -N
-f /etc/squid/squid.conf.sslonly

http://getoffmalawn.com/static/squid-manager-info.out
http://getoffmalawn.com/static/squid-manager-mem.out

So at this point, I'm not sure what I should be doing to progress
this. I'm happy to add any debugging, just need to tell me where its
should go. I'll keep trying to get Valgrind going in the mean time.

Thanks,

Nathan.

--
Nathan Hoad