Re: [squid-users] auth_param basic children question

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:55:41 +1300

On 2014-01-24 04:04, Scott Mayo wrote:
> Is there some standard that the auth_param basic children should be
> set at when Squid is authenticating users?
>
> Mine was set at 5. I have moved it up some when working with my
> slowness issues. Slowness has pretty much gone away, but I am not
> sure if it was that setting or some other things that I did.
>
> I am just curious if the basic children should be close to the number
> of users that I have or how I should try to figure that.

Not necessarily. There are a large number of factors involved; ratio of
unique to repeat visitors (active user count), latency on the auth
verification, whether concurrency is involved, frequency of new
validation lookups, TTL of the Squid cached helper results and size of
that cached set. Between them these all balance performance vs
responsiveness to credential change.
It does need to be high enough to service the number of validations
per-second that get past those performance tuning parameters.

Amos